Monday, January 25, 2010

Redo!


This is a second attempt at blogging.

There were half a dozen posts up here earlier, about how I met my wife. It seemed silly to rehash the past, even though I knew it would probably help some lone Indian Lesbian. Sorry girls, your on your own for now.

Lets, instead, focus on the present.

Currently, I am: 29. An Indian Lesbian. Married (one of 18k same sex couples in CA). Cancer survivor. Immigrant. Fully Employed. Not speaking to her parents. Supporting her in-laws. Mama to 3 cats.

The breakdown:
29. Not much to say on that particular item, since I couldn't really control conception or delivery.

Indian. Again not much to say, accept isn't it amazing how many Indians are now in Hollywood? I feel represented. I also, now live in the South Bay of CA. which is little Asia. Every Asian race is represented, accepted, and a new culture of western asian is created. I no longer stand out in a crowd. It's weird.

Lesbian. I grew up in a white neighborhood in CA. I've been a minority my entire life, but the moment I embraced my sexuality I felt even more alone. Now not only was I a minority, but I was scared that someone may not accept who I was. It's been a struggle. However, I'm happier, free-er, and more alive, then I've ever been. People now know me. They know what I'm about, my thoughts, my views, my feelings, etc... and all of it was because I accepted myself.

Married. One of 18k couples whose marriage is legally recognized by the State of CA. Forever, doomed to explain my marital status. Seeing the disbelief in the eyes of some, the indifference in others, and surprise in others. Sad and full of guilt for all my friends that can't marry. Happy that I got married. Mostly, I'm just filled with joy when I call my wife "wife". She's not my partner, she's my wife. There is no misunderstanding, no wondering if I should check "single" on a doctor's form. It's simple and true. She is my wife, and I love her.

Cancer survivor. Not much to say, except I'm starting to believe it.

Immigrant. Born in the UK. Immigrated to the US at the age of 5. In the process of becoming a citizen.

Employed. As a technical writer/trainer at a tech company.

Not talking to the parents. See lesbian.

Supporting the in-laws. One more week.

Cats. See picture.

No comments: