Monday, February 15, 2010

Greenpeace

I'm not a fan of Greenpeace. I think they go too far. I'm all for saving the environment, and helping "mother earth", but I don't believe in bullying or terrorizing.

Recently, I was walking down the street with the wife, and a guy with a clipboard asked if "We wanted to help out Mother Earth?" The wife responded with, "Sorry, we don't want to sign a petition." He responded with "I don't have a petition I'm trying to sign up people for Greenpeace." Now I had been trying to avoid talking to this guy. I saw his clipboard, and as I stated I'm not a fan. As such, we both respond with how we dislike Greenpeace. This apparently was the wrong move. It sent the guy on the defensive.

He asked us what we didn't like, and then before we could answer. He answered for us, asking if we didn't like how they stop Japanese Whalers by getting in the way. Now I know this trick. If I say, I don't like it then I'm obviously for whaling. Well, sorry dude. I don't like whaling, but I don't believe in bullying. You want to change the law. Then work with the Japanese government. Take video of it and release it on the internet. Do something besides being a bully. So we avoided the mine by answering that we disliked their policies with IT companies. At which point he showed us a chinese landfill filled with electronic trash. Stating here we pay to not see it, but there (in China) they don't have a choice. Excuse me! I'm sorry, but I make informed choices daily. I try to support companies whose policies I believe in.

Thankfully, the light changed before I loss my temper.

That little interaction really just reinforced how much I hate Greenpeace. They're bullies, and I believe that everyone has rights. And some of those rights and opinions don't agree with mine. But I'm not gonna bully anyone. I guess it's too pacifist for them, but I'll make statements the way I know how. Buy the one thing that matters to companies and governments. By choosing where my dollar is spent.

No comments: